Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Stop Hating And Start Loving

I think people should start realizing how much hate can affect one person. I personally think one thing in this whole world that is worth fighting for is a world without bullying. This may not occur as such a big thing but in the teenage world it really is. It happens in movies, television series, documentaries and in real life. How many documentaries are out there about kids killing themselves because they can't take the pressure? Answer: TONS.

Bullying is certainly an issue we all have to attend to. I found this video on YouTube and have watched this video in health class last year about a boy that committed suicide in 2003 at the age of thirteen. His name was Ryan Halligan. He committed suicide because he was constantly bullied at school and on the internet. One day this girl and her friends decided it would be a laugh to pretend to like Ryan and Ryan told her all this personal things about himself and she copy and pasted all these secrets that he had told her into other chats and spreading them to others and laughing at Ryan. Ryan's father now has spoken at over a hundred schools about how he thinks Ryan made such a bad mistake. But I'm sitting here asking "Can you blame him?" Imagine everyday going to school being laughed at and teased and coming home and have the same people tease you. The worst part. There's no escape. I can understand why Ryan did what he did. He wanted this to stop. He didn't want to listen to it anymore. He wanted to just erase it from his mind but he couldn't and it certainly wasn't one of those incidents that you would have with a friend and the next day you're buddies again. He felt alone and he wanted to stop the teasing but how was he supposed to do that?

I personally have gone through a time like that. When every time I turned the corner I had eyes on me and I could hear my name repeatedly in sentences and sentences. I was more fortunate than Ryan because I had a friend that believed in me. She believed that I did none of those things that were circulating around the school. She knew how bad I felt about it even though I tried so hard to deny it. For a year, I felt so alone but thanks to this girl she really made me understand what true friendship is and to keep going at life and not decide to throw it all away. These things that were going around the school kept coming back to me and trust me it was like I was in a nightmare. As an adolescent, all your thinking about right now is about 'Hey, I wanna be so and so's friend!' 'I wanna be popular!'. And what people say about you really gets to you in terms of whether it is positive or negative. Last year, rumors went around about me liking this person and mentioning harsh words. But it was this friend that reminded me that you can't always please people and that you just have to walk away and don't have a care in the world about what they are talking about. So I want to take this opportunity to thank this friend, for always being there for me and always encouraging me.

Back to the topic. Why do people find differences? Why do people like to bully? Why do we have to hate? According to Bullying Statistics of 2010 , there are about 2.7 million students bullied each year. Why are the statistics that high? I want to ask the bullies of the world and if you are currently bullying someone either emotionally or physically. Would you want this to happen to you? To the bystanders, you have seen the statistics. 2.7 MILLION STUDENTS!!!! And about 56% students in schools, have witnessed a bullying crime taken place at school. How can we stop this? It's up to you. I bet if one student starts saying no a thousand others will say no. To the bystanders, don't just stand there. Do something about it. If you are scared to confront the bully yourself report it to a teacher. It's the only chance of stopping bullying.

If you are reading this, think about Ryan. Think about yourselves. Would you like to go through whatever bullying victims are going through as we speak? Stand up. Take a stand for what you believe in and stop hating and start loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment